Donation-Specific questions?

This is the place to be.


Frequently Asked Queries

When will I get my tax receipt?

You can expect your tax receipt to be mailed to you near the beginning of the next month following the date of your donation. Our current system doesn't allow us to issue immediate electronic tax receipts.

Where will my donation be directed?

There are lots of options available to you should you wish to direct your donation to a specific need of the theatre. Learn more about the individual and corporate giving options.

How do I make a donation of stock?

A donation of securities or mutual funds can make a much larger impact. And donating through CanadaHelps gets you a more substantial tax receipt. If, like many of our donors, you are interested in a donation of securities, click here to learn how it easy it can be. 

If you are already familiar with the process of donating securities through CanadaHelps, you may find our charity page here.

How do I change my credit card information?

Your credit card information is only saved in our donor database if you have set up a recurring gift schedule. If you would like to update your credit card information or sign up for a recurring donation, please call our Development Associate, Luke Brown, at 613-236-5192 ext. 226.

What is the Director’s Circle?

The Director's Circle is a special donor program made up of donors who give $1,000 or more. Members in each of the four levels of the Director's Circle enjoy a variety of benefits, including complimentary drinks, exclusive backstage access, and invitations to special events. Your membership will extend over 365 days after your donation. It's our highest individual donor program designed to bring you closer to the work we do and the artists who create it.

I can’t find my tax receipt. How do I get another one issued?

If you are unable to find the hardcopy donation receipt that was mailed to you, please contact Luke Brown, Development Associate for assistance. You may also reach him by phone at 613-236-5192, ext. 226.

Can I donate my tickets for a tax receipt?

While our policy is such that we do not offer refunds for tickets, we do offer the option for you to instead donate the value of your ticket in exchange for an income tax receipt. This is possible up until the day of the performance that you are unable to attend. Simply contact the GCTC Box Office and they will void the ticket and apply a donation for the purchased value, providing the value is $20 or more. We will cancel your tickets and mail you an official income tax receipt, which is sent out at the beginning of the month following the transaction.

Requests of this kind are handled by email or phone any time between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday. Please contact Celina Hawkins, Patron Services Manager, at 613-236-5192 ext. 221 or by email. We will require a mailing address, contact phone number and the name in which you would like the donation reflected.