Come join our team.
The Great Canadian Theatre Company believes that theatre is essential to a healthy society. We’re looking for an outstanding candidate that embodies that belief to join our team in the role of Box Office & Front of House Assistant.
The GCTC work culture:
- We are passionate about live theatre, the performing arts, and our local arts community;
- We believe in inclusivity and diversity as part of the GCTC work culture;
- We are proud ambassadors for our theatre company in house and in the community;
- We excel in a collaborative, fun, and creative environment;
- We are resourceful, compassionate, intuitive and innovative.
What would make you a great candidate?
- You are committed and available for work during the run of our productions;
- You can demonstrate a passion for the Great Canadian Theatre Company’s programming and artistic vision;
- You possess exceptional communications abilities and advanced computer skills;
- You are a thoughtful decision maker and a collaborative team member;
- You are organized and have a strong attention to detail;
- You are comfortable with phone sales (telemarketing included) and engaging the public;
- You are open to a flexible work schedule that includes nights and weekends;
- You have experience working in a box office or within live theatre;
- You can sell!
- You have Smartserve certification and are a confident bartender;
- You have a good sense of humour and strong work ethic;
- You believe in what we do
- You bring initiatives and new ideas
- You have an ability to improvise and think on your feet
- You can work in a fast-paced environment and are calm under pressure
- You are comfortable administering first aid with proper training provided
Here’s an overview of the position:
Your roles and responsibilities in the box office would include
- Processing all ticket sales swiftly and accurately maximizing revenue and ensuring the highest level customer experience;
- Provide exceptional customer service at all times always seeking innovative solutions to best represent GCTC and our guests;
- Exceptional communications skills in person, on the phone and in written correspondence with patrons and clients of GCTC;
- Processing and reconciling financial transactions with accompanying reports;
- Analyzing statistics, guest counts, and financial statements while collaborating within the organization to form strategies that will ensure financial goals are exceeded and productions reach a maximum audience;
- Occasionally participate in off-site GCTC events as ambassadors and ticket agents;
- Reading all scripts included in the artistic season.
Your roles and responsibilities in the front of house would include:
- Acting as Front of House Supervisor in all pre-show duties including scheduling, coordinating, motivating, and leading all GCTC volunteers
- Occasional bartending service;
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of the GCTC raffle and other front of house activities;
- Assist patrons with securing tickets, finding seats, coat check duties, etc.;
- Make pre-show announcements, liaise with production;
- Complete closing reconciliation reports, sales reports, show reports.
What’s great about working at GCTC?
We’ll tell you what’s great about working here:
- You get to meet and engage with thousands (yes, thousands) of cool people and artists from the community;
- You get to see our shows for free (I know, right!?);
- You are invited to the exclusive first read of GCTC produced plays
- We offer and encourage interdepartmental opportunities and advanced training whenever possible;
- You have unlimited use of our private GCTC play library and other resources;
- We offer flexible work hours;
- We offer a competitive wage;
- You have behind the scenes access to the creative process (rehearsals, invited dress, backstage);
- We believe in an inclusive, collaborative, diverse work culture;
- We host fun employee events that you can participate in and/or help organize;
- Sometimes dogs visit (actually, dogs visit quite often. Wait ‘til you meet Basil or George or Whisky or Finnigan or…).
The position reports to the Patron Services Manager, Kenneth DeBaeremaeker and to the public.
Submissions should include a cover letter and C.V. outlining suitability for this role and what sets you apart as the ideal candidate.
Please email to email@example.com before Monday, August 28th.
The position is expected to begin in early September.
We thank all who apply, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
No phone calls please.
For Administrative job enquiries please contact Hugh Neilson, Managing Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For Artistic job enquiries please contact Eric Coates, Artistic Director (email@example.com)
For Production job enquiries please contact Seth Gerry, Production Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Great Canadian Theatre Company is proud to recognize our current and past outstanding volunteers who have worked tirelessly to get us here.
We recruit fun, energetic, reliable theatre lovers (16 years of age or older) to act as ushers, to prepare mail-outs and assist with special events and fundraisers.
For volunteer opportunities please contact Kenneth DeBaeremaeker, Patron Services Manager (email@example.com).